CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 22, 2008

Stiff-Necked

Very Stiff

No, Not biblically...




My neck hurts. Sore. I'm sitting outside my dance studio (see door on the left in above photo) in the music building at Fresno State. Lovely building, though my sad little webcam doesn't provide any proof of that.



I began writing this post last Tuesday in a rare ten minute break I found. The break was quickly stolen from me, and I had to save and exit blogger. I am just finally getting back to it now. Bleh.


********************************


Hi. I felt like I should probably update, since it's been a week. Not much news here. School, work, blah blah. I did get to sit down with Dr. Jenelle Gilbert this week to discuss my future in the Kinesioligy Master's program here. All systems are GO! She says I'm somewhat of an anomoly at this school, as the dance program and Kines program have never really meshed... so I'll have to go through her to approve every single class I take for the next three years. I'm starting to look into loan options, as I will be taking my first student loan out next year. Yikes! Not the time for taking loans out in the Valley... Or anywhere, for that matter. I still don't know if I will be able to graduate next fall (waiting to find out if they will actually offer the last few classes that I need!!!). The waiting game. It's awesome. I just keep praying that it works out. Dr. Gilbert asked if I would be interested in earning a doctorate. Ha! Someday, when I have lots of money (right... lots. Suuuure...) Maybe I'll re-enlist and become Dr. Black! We talked about the possibility of my being a published writer someday, teaching at a university, or branching off into injury prevention.
As long as it deals with movement and pays in US dollars, I don't care.
The Kines MA program here is the very best in the western US, and one of the top in the nation. Amazing facilities and resources, internships as far as the eye can see, and top-notch faculty. Needless to say, I am thrilled. Just two more semesters before I get started! (not including my current semester...) Someday I'll be edumacated.


Last night I rehearsed my pance off. Dance pance. (and by "last night", I mean last monday night, as a week has already passed...)

****************
Back to the present. Sorry if that was confusing. Today is Monday, September 22. I found that I am ahead on my costume shop hours (have to give 90 hours over the semester, and I already have 26). And since I will be working there for three hours later today, I thought I would take a nice break this morning and mend the strap of a favorite leotard that has come undone. Maybe do some laundry. Read a bit. Catch up on homework. Breathe. good things.

My first concert of the semester rapidly approaches. One month... October 18th and 19th. I have been invited to perform in the Central Valley Dance Festival with a group of four other girls from CSUF. Need I mention that I am both thrilled and terrified?! Because I am. Both. Quite. We are dancing to the theme song from the TV show "House". It will be quite awesome. The choreographer is one of my favorite in town, Lindsay Jo Settle, who danced for Martha something at the Dance Studio of Fresno, who was the prized pupil and choreographic student of Mia Michaels, current ridiculously popular Modern dance choreographer for the TV show, "So You Think You Can Dance". Mia Michaels' style trickled down through the floor boards and soaked into Lindsay Jo's bed at some point, affecting her dreams at night. At least, that's what I like to think. Either way, they are Modern crowd-pleasers, which are typically rare. I'm looking forward to the experience, but it does mean limited rehearsal time and stepping up to dance alongside the finest in the valley. My knees are shaking.

My schedule as of late is the same. Last Monday was a bit odd, though. I worked in the costume shop from 8-12, ran some errands (no class, as the theatre arts department had a faculty retreat all day), met with Dr. Gilbert at 2, went back to the costume shop from 2:30-5PM, grabbed a salad with Scott (the only day in the week that I have an hour break and get to see him when I'm not completely wiped out), and ran back to my studio to dance from 6-10:30PM. That was a nice, easy day.

Scott and I don't get to see eachother much. When we do, we usually fall asleep. He is ever patient with me, waiting all day for me to have a moment to spend with him. By the time I'm available, I'm nearly dead. We have to wait for the weekends. The man lives across the street from me and I never see him. :( But he does have his fishies to occupy his time. :) Check out his blog.

Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegone...
Where Scott is strong, Laura is good-looking, and all my nieces and nephews are above average.
I hope you're all well. Miss and love you.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Ever considered movement/dance therapy Dr. Black? I know a school... I'm sayin'...

Kelli said...

I love the "nieces and nephews" comment. I totally miss getting Prarie Home Companion!

Thanks for letting us know you're still alive. You coming for conference?